Via Algarviana - the silent East
8 days and 7 nights walking programme through the remotest part of the Algarve, the Northeastern side. 6 wonderful walking stages from the Algarvean mountain range to the lower barrocal area through this serene land, unspoilt countryside, deep river valleys, authentic villages and their few, but lovely inhabitants. Life at a different velocity..., at walking pace.
The route is based on a medieval itinerary, original pilgrimage treks from Mozarab days. During the Moorish reign over the Algarve Christians from eastern Algarve and western Andalucia would travel to Cabo de São Vicente in the south west where supposedly the relics of St. Vincent had washed ashore by boat from Valencia.
Via Algarviana is a well signposted long distance walking route, designated GR 13. The route continues until Cape St. Vincent, the most south western tip of the Algarve. It has a total of 300 kms. The following itinerary suggests you to walk almost 120 km of it. This is set up as an individual self guided programme for a minimum of 2 participants. We support you with information, maps, overnight reservations and (luggage) transfers.
Day 1. Transfer from your arrival location to Alcoutim
Day 2. Walk from Alcoutim to Balurcos, 24,2 km, 7 hrs
Day 3. Walk from Balurcos to Furnazinhos, 14,3 km, 4 hrs
Day 4. Walk from Furnazinhos to Vaqueiros, 20,3 km, 6 hrs
Day 5. Walk from Vaqueiros to Cachopo, 14,9 km, 5 hrs
Day 6. Walk from Cachopo to Barranco do Velho, 29,1 km, 8 hrs
Day 7. Walk from Barranco do Velho to Salir, 14,9 km, 5 hrs
Day 8. Transfer back to Faro airport or any train/bus station in the Algarve
765,00 euro pp.
Minimum booking of 2 persons. We prefer not to take single bookings. It is best to find a walking partner. The area is very remote and when something happens help can be very far away.
Via Algarviana can be walked all year round, but we do not recommend that you set out in July or August due to the elevated summer temperatures.
- Arrival and departure transfer from and to Faro airport or any train/bus station in the Algarve
- Luggage transport
- 7 nights acommodation in small rural hotel or B&B based on 2 persons sharing a twin room, including breakfast
- 4 dinners at accommodation locations where there are no local restaurants
- 6 pic nics with the main necessities for during your walks. Shops to buy provisions are not available on every stage
- Optional possibilities to extend the programme with days of rest or extra stay overs in the Algarve before or after the walking programme
Bookings and enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org