portimão btt 4, mexilhoeira grande, 23 km
BTT 4 Interior voyage
Mountain bike route at the pretty village of Mexilhoeira Grande, Portimão council, leaving from the Mexilhoeira railway station on the south side from national road 125. It is a fairly easy ride, very good for starting bikers, mostly on tarmac roads and just a few dirt roads to get an idea of the Portimão council's interior scenery north of Mexilhoeira Grande touching the southern slopes of Foía and Monchique foothills. At the time of logging this track (spring 2009) the route was not signposted yet, but may be by now the Portimão municipality has. If not, use this gps track or go with a local guide.
Distance: 23,02 km.
Accumulated ascent: 206 m.
Points of interest:
- Neolithic archaeological site at Alcalar
- Roman archaelogical site of Abicada, just east of Mexilhoeira Grande, south of EN 125.
- Ria de Alvor estuary, Natura 2000 PTCON0052, www.icnb.pt
- Conservation centre A Rocha, www.arocha.org
- Technical difficulty: 1/5
- Fysical difficulty: 2/5
- Scenery: 3/5
Track author: Municipality of Portimão, www.cm-portimao.pt